Passers By Alert Residents to Fire - Adur & Worthing Liberal Democrats
Adur, West & East Worthing Party including East Arun

Passers By Alert Residents to Fire

At 01.55am today 8th August , West Sussex Fire Service Command and Mobilising centre received a 999 call to a report of a flat fire in Worthing. Two fire crews from Worthing Fire station were called to the building in Romany Rd.
En route, it was believed that residents were trapped, so an additional appliance was mobilised from Worthing. Crews arrived within 4 minutes and found several people in the road, waving the crews down and told them of a fire on the first floor.

Two firefighters wearing Breathing apparatus entered the flat and one male adult was led to safety. Meanwhile 9 other residents were evacuated as a precaution. Two people suffered smoke inhalation and were given oxygen at the scene before being taken to hospital for a precautionary check up. The fire was started accidentally and luckily damage was restricted to the living room only.

The initial call was raised by some youths who were walking past the building and saw the flickering of the flames in the window and smoke coming from the first floor. Whilst one of them dialled 999, the others ran to the flats and started to alert the residents to the danger. This led to the building being evacuated very quickly.

Watch Commander Darren Wickings said ‘The actions of the passing youths were very commendable. They immediately dialled 999 and started to inform our Control and Mobilising centre about the fire, whilst two others ran to the door and started banging on it. They also shouted up to the second floor and alerted residents to the situation. Their prompt action certainly made our job easier, as the evacuation was well under way when we arrived. Two people suffered smoke inhalation, but the outcome could have been much worse, had the residents not had an early warning.

ENDS